Wednesday, July 25

I so owe an update

Again, I am so exhausted this evening. My feet really hurt. We were up at 7am ripping open boxes and organizing the kitchen (not because we set alarms or anything, we were just up. Damn you, jet-lag!)

Notable things about today (in list form because i just have to):
  • The kitchen is completely unpacked and nothing is broken (this is entirely due to Nell and her superb packing skills. I am still in awe)!
  • I took my first solo trip on the 101 (including a 4 lane cross to get to a left exit, I'm already feeling better about driving).
  • We've discovered that the pool has a light in it that changes color every few minutes. I love the patio at night time. It is like something from my dreams (not the pool light, but sort of).
  • The radio station! Oh, the radio station! There is nothing quite like KCRW. After my morning news I heard Bjork, my morning jacket, and the strokes. Not only did I get to hear good music, but I didn't have to listen to Alan Chartok! I am in love.
  • There is a leaky spot on the roof hangover outside that right now is causing something like a waterfall onto the patio. I am baffled by this but don't' really care because I'm not the homeowner, and I don't have to fix it!
  • I bought wine at Target today!
That's about all I can remember right now.

Yesterday was something a little different. It started so wonderfully after we left the airplane, though. From the escalator we spotted Annika and Sam waiting for us with amazing smiles and warm hugs. We were escorted to their car and driven to the house (that i would never had found on my own). We got to hang out a bit and I was feeling so confident and wonderful being shown around by Annika who already saw the house when her and her family helped Tim unload THE WHOLE TRUCK IN ONE DAY. We chatted, the boys played.

But then they left.

and we had to get groceries.

So I packed up the GPS navigation thingy that I've used once and got in the car that I've never driven in a neighborhood that I've never seen and proceed to try and get out of the hood onto Laurel Canyon Blvd. It wasn't going so well when I realize there is NO gas in the car. I tried my best not to panic. Some how we made it there and back (with many wrong turns along the way). It was all worth it because I got to grocery shop at Trader Joe's. Yes, not just pick up a case of wine on my way through Boston. I got to shop. And i am happy, and I am slowly falling in love with this city.

Still many boxes to go. Tomorrow is Eamon's birthday and we'll probably go out and do something fun. I can't believe how cold it gets here in the evening. There's a cool breeze blowing in the window behind me. I almost need a sweatshirt.


Anonymous said...

Tomorrow we have breakfast plans and then we are yours! (At least Sam and I are, and I think Will is too.) I forgot to get your number, so you can call me in the morning or else maybe we will just show up!

You are doing amazingly well! I still hate the 101 (and all freeways in general) and certainly could not have attempted it on my second day here. And I can't believe you got the kitchen done so fast.


Nell said...

Slowly? What is this slowly? It's only been two days!

Okay, fine. I'm glad you're settling in, okay? Okay? And I'm definitely glad that you have Annika to take care of you, it sounds like she's doing an excellent job. Just don't forget about us Eastcoasters, I mean, we still have to listen to Alan Chartok. Every. Day.

Love by Lauren said...

Yeah! I agree with Nell! (At least I have WBRU and WERS!)

Love by Lauren said...

Oh yeah and we want photos!

Laura said...

there's thrills in your voice (even despite the no-gas-oh-shit experience!) it's contagious!